|“||The embodiment of your deepest, most primal urges.||”|
After losing a gift that Jeremy made for her, Candace is determined to recreate it before Jeremy realizes it’s missing. Unfortunately, Candace can’t remember what it looks like, so she enlists Phineas and Ferb to use their mind machine to enter into her subconscious and recapture the memory. Meanwhile, Doofenshmirtz’s evil plan is to use his Underwear-Inator to take over the Tri-State Area, since everyone's greatest fear is being caught in public in their underwear.
As Candace watches Jeremy walk to the bus stop from her house, she notices a strange object fall from his backpack onto the sidewalk, though she is too late to catch him before he gets on the bus. She calls to inform him of the lost object. Jeremy assumes it is the gift that he had made for her, but is unable to elaborate as his cell phone loses reception. Candace is flattered, but unsure of what the item actually is. While trying to figure it out, she accidentally flings it into a sewer drain and it is flushed away.
In the backyard, Phineas, Ferb, and Baljeet are hooked up to a Mind Machine manned by Irving that they created to enter one's subconscious and cure fears; in this case Baljeet's fear of using contractions. Phineas says that they'd be happy to help Candace out, but she is unable to describe the strange object. Phineas concludes that they can use the Mind Machine to enter Candace's subconscious and retrieve the memory of the object so they can reconstruct it for her.
Meanwhile, Perry arrives early at Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated and catches Doofenshmirtz in his underwear. Doofenshmirtz traps Perry in a net and tells him that he had just inspired his new evil idea of constructing an "Underwear-inator", and using it to disrupt the Tri-State Area Summit and Weenie Roast by exposing everyone in their underwear, paralyzing them with embarrassment and making it much easier to take over.
Candace is wired up to the Mind Machine, and she enters her subconscious along with Phineas, Ferb, and Baljeet. Once in, Irving reminds them that they have forty-five minutes until Jeremy arrives. Phineas tells Candace that they must head for the "Forest of Memory". The four hear a monstrous roar from afar, which Baljeet identifies as the cry of Candace's id, manifested as an actual being inside her mind.
While Doofenshmirtz finishes building the Underwear-inator, Perry pulls out his right contact lens and uses it to magnify the sun's heat unto the rope of his net trap.
Phineas, Ferb, and the others emerge from the "Peaks and Valleys of Fickleness" in Candace's mind and arrive at the "Falls of Anxiety", where Buford meets them, to Candace's disapproval. In the backyard, Irving explains to an inquisitive Isabella that Buford had just arrived and jacked himself into the Mind Machine. Buford's presence in her mind stresses Candace, and they part ways with him after manifestations of fear chase them through the waterfall. Isabella arrives in the mind next to Buford, who proceeds to give her a tour.
Doofenshmirtz realizes Perry's escape plan and crushes his magnifying contact lens and walks away, not realizing that Perry has another one hidden in his left eye.
After wandering through different parts of Candace's mind, the main group arrives in the Forest of Memory. Phineas theorizes that they can prompt Candace's memory by stimulating the actual trees in the forest by scratching them. It works, and a vision of the strange object appears in the forest.
Just then, Jeremy arrives in the mind and greets Candace. He identifies the mysterious object as his drain unclogger. The id, appearing as a primitive and monstrous version of Candace, then arrives and chases the main group out of the forest. They pass Buford's tour group, which is now comprised of Isabella and the Fireside Girls. The tour group then joins the main group as the id pursues.
Perry succeeds in burning through the net and attacks Doofenshmirtz, accidentally activating the Underwear-inator. It ends up shooting Perry, Doofenshmirtz, Norm, and Irving, whose underwear happens to be lavender, the color he fears. The distressed Irving is unable to answer Phineas' call for help, and cannot extract them from Candace's mind. Perry deactivates the Underwear-inator.
As the id begins devouring the ground beneath them, Phineas explains to the group that one of them needs to wake up and extract the others. They all successfully shock Baljeet awake by using contractions; though once awake Baljeet is unable to pull the cables from the computer because of his wimpy physicality. As Candace trips and knocks the others down, they all fall into the mouth of the id.
The shock of being eaten wakes them all up, except for Buford, who stays inside to hang out with the id. Jeremy presents Candace with her real gift, a beautiful purple beaded bracelet with her name on it.
Read the transcript of Monster from the Id.
First and last verses of "Deep Into Your Mind". (during the end credits when broadcast by itself)
|View the image gallery for "Monster from the Id".|
I know what we're gonna do today
The "Too Young" Line
Candace: Hey, what are you guys doin'?
Phineas: We built a Mind Machine to enter Baljeet's subconsciousness in order to cure his fear of contractions.
Hey, where's Perry?
Baljeet: Hey! Where's- (Shudders) Where is Perry?
Candace: (while coming out with Jeremy) Wait, hold on, where's Buford?
Oh, there you are, Perry
Perry's entrance to his lair
Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated!
Gretchen: Gretchen is out, peace!
Candace: (Reaching for Jeremy's gift in the gutter) Ohh, almost got it. (A huge flow of water rushes through the gutter)
People: Woo Hoo! The Danville clean water flush off!
Phineas: We've already cured Irving's fear of the color lavender.
Irving: It can't hurt me anymore.
Dr. Doofenshmirtz: ♪ Eating cereal looks like this ♪
Candace: Wait a minute. Why is that dweeb going into my subconscious?
Baljeet: Because this dweeb spent two weeks in psychology camp last summer.
Candace: Where are we?
Phineas: We're inside your subconscious!
Baljeet: I cannot believe there is a whole valley in there devoted to your love hate relationship with ambivalence.
Candace: I have mixed feelings about it.
Buford: Yeah, she's real messed up.
Phineas: Now, what's the last thing you remember?
Candace: The last thing I remember is saying "How will I find Jermey's gift?".
Candace: That's it!
Jeremy: That's what?
Norm: Who wants lobster bisque? (gets hit with the Underwear-inator, revealing his underwear, and it falls off) Get it while it's hot!
Ginger: That's it, I'm dead meat.
Doofenshmirtz: Curse you, Perry the Platypus. You know, those really work for you.
Gretchen: Gretchen is out! Peace!
- The id is a part of the psyche that is the source of instinctive impulses, Candace's urge to bust her brothers, in this case.
- Candace's anxieties include: "Is my neck too long?", "Should I keep dotting my i's with hearts?", and "Is it okay that I wear the same dress every day?".
- This episode aired on Disney Channel On Demand on February 3, 2012.
- This episode is listed incorrectly on Netflix and Disney+ as "Monster from Id".
- This is the first episode where Ginger is voiced by Michaela Zee.
- February 22, 2012 (Disney XD UK)
- March 2, 2012 (Family Channel)
- March 3, 2012 (Disney XD Canada)
- April 3, 2012 (Disney Channel Australia)
- April 26, 2012 (Disney Channel Brazil & Latin America)
- June 15, 2012 (Disney Channel Asia)
- June 23, 2012 (Disney XD Latin America)
- September 29, 2012 (Disney Channel Portugal)
- September 30, 2012 (Disney XD Spain)
- Shortly after meeting the Talking Zebra in "Deep Into Your Mind", Candace's belt is miscolored white as she flies upwards out of the room.
- Phineas, Candace, and Irving all use contractions when they are talking in the backyard, but Baljeet does not get scared.
- For a split second, just after deactivating the Underwear-inator, Perry's briefs disappear.
- Some of the Fireside Girls repeatedly disappear and reappear inside the id. This also happens when they are sleeping in the backyard.
- In Doofenshmirtz's underwear flashback, when he takes them off, they are faded brown instead of white.
- When the id hits Phineas, Ferb, Candace, Baljeet, and Jeremy, Baljeet is behind a tree in the forest of memory.
- Kelly Hu is credited, but Stacy doesn't appear in this episode or its sister episode.
- During "Deep Into Your Mind", the squirrels in Candace's pants and Suzy's head can be seen ("Comet Kermillian").
- In the seventh scene of "Deep Into Your Mind", in the floor there's a picture of Candace in a Picasso parody saying "Mom!" ("Phineas' Birthday Clip-O-Rama!").
- Forbidden Planet - The title alludes to the science-fiction movie Forbidden Planet, in which a scientist stranded on an alien planet where the dominant race has mysteriously died off awakens a creature formed from his own long-suppressed dark desires and fears, the Monster from the Id.
- Lucille Ball - A woman on the bus says, "My fillings are heating up!". This is a reference to a story that Ball once told on a talk show about how her filling implants picked up radio signals.
- Inception - The main plot of the episode alludes to the movie Inception, where people enter another's subconsciousness. The music during many of the scenes referring to this activity is also allusive to this movie, relying heavily on electric guitar noodling and underlying orchestral strings adding the lower notes and chords.
- Freudian Psychology - There are several references to different psychological theories, but most prominent is that of Sigmund Freud. Freud is mentioned during the song, and the id is one of Freud's most famous contributions to psychological theory.
- Linda and Monogram do not appear in this episode.
- Adyson is the only Fireside Girl who does not appear in this episode.
- This episode reveals several things:
- Perry wears contact lenses.
- Whatever happened with Candace ending up in a Picasso-like environment caused her to fear the number seven ("Phineas' Birthday Clip-O-Rama!").
- Jeremy carries a drain unclogger with him.
- Jeremy knows Irving.
- Candace sees Phineas and Ferb as some sort of prey.
- This is one of the few episodes where Candace doesn't try to bust her brothers.
- This is the first time Doofenshmirtz is seen in his turtle neck and pants without his lab coat.
- "Out, Peace!" is said again ("Unfair Science Fair Redux (Another Story)", "Invasion of the Ferb Snatchers", "The Beak", "She's the Mayor", "Phineas and Ferb Hawaiian Vacation", "Nerds of a Feather").
- Ducky Momo appears again, this time in the form of a club.
- This is the fourth time Major Monogram is neither seen nor mentioned ("Isabella and the Temple of Sap", "Canderemy", "Phineas and Ferb Interrupted").
- While inside Candace's mind and being attacked by the id, Buford says "You all signed the releases, right?", talking to the group he is guiding. This is similar to what Phineas says in "Rollercoaster".
- This is the ninth time Doofenshmirtz is seen in his underwear ("Lights, Candace, Action!", "Tip of the Day", "Bubble Boys", "Phineas and Ferb Hawaiian Vacation", "Nerds of a Feather", "Run, Candace, Run", "My Fair Goalie", "Bullseye!").
- This is the third time Doofenshmirtz's inator causes garments to spontaneously appear or disappear on people ("Boyfriend From 27,000 B.C.", "Gaming the System").
- The song "Do Nothing Day" is heard again ("The Best Lazy Day Ever", "Chez Platypus", "The Bully Code", "Make Play").
- Perry walks away from Doofenshmirtz while he is explaining his backstory again ("Voyage to the Bottom of Buford").
- This is the third time Perry is seen in underwear ("Unfair Science Fair", "Perry Lays an Egg").
- This is the second time an episode starts with Candace having her face on the window ("Phineas and Ferb-Busters!").
- This is the third time more than one Candace is seen ("Split Personality", "Last Train to Bustville").
- This is the second time Perry is early for Doofenshmirtz's scheme ("I Scream, You Scream").
- This is the second time Doofenshmirtz's plan involves stripping people to their underwear ("Boyfriend From 27,000 B.C.").
- The Talking Zebra and the Giant Floating Baby Head appear again.
- Norm and Irving are the eighth and ninth characters to be shown in underwear. The others being Dr. Doofenshmirtz, Phineas, Ferb, Perry, Buford, Baljeet, and Jeremy.
- Vincent Martella as Phineas
- Ashley Tisdale as Candace
- Thomas Sangster as Ferb
- Caroline Rhea as Mom ♦
- Dan Povenmire as Dr. Doofenshmirtz
- Jeff "Swampy" Marsh as Major Monogram ♦
- Tyler Mann as Carl ♦
- Dee Bradley Baker as Perry
- Mitchel Musso as Jeremy
- Alyson Stoner as Isabella
- Bobby Gaylor as Buford
- Maulik Pancholy as Baljeet
- Kelly Hu as Stacy
- John Viener as Norm
- Jack McBrayer as Irving
- Eileen Galindo as Mrs. Garcia-Shapiro ♦
- Additional Voices: Ariel Winter, Bobby Gaylor, Dan Povenmire, Dee Bradley Baker, Diamond White, Eileen Galindo, Jeff "Swampy" Marsh, Isabella Acres, Michaela Zee
- ♦ designates a character that did not appear in this episode
"Phineas and Ferb and the Temple of Juatchadoon "