It was slightly smaller than Ferb and resembled a camera. The lens (which gave it the characteristic of a camera) fires a ray which could separate/split things into its component parts when someone operates the handle.
According to Phineas:
- It could split a donkey into a horse and a mule.
- It could separate a shampoo-conditioner into shampoo and conditioner.
In the episode, it is shown that more things could also separated (or splitted):
- They separated Buford's chocolate with some of Baljeet's peanut butter on it into chocolate and peanut butter.
- Candace split herself, accidentally, into Busting and Romantic Candace. Phineas, after seeing the results of this mishap, suggested to Ferb that the device be destroyed.
- It fired at the screen in Perry's lair, and separated Major Monogram.
- They use it to separate Candace from Jeremy.
- Accidently, Doofenshmirtz-Norm-Refrigerator and Perry-Toolbox-Fan are also separated at Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated when the molecular separator fell to the ground and was destroyed.