|“||Welcome back, racing fans, to the Montevillebad Grand Prix.||”|
Agent P travels to the glamorous city of Montevillebad to stop Doof from winning the Grand Prix and collecting the prize money. When Doof uses his "I-don't-care-Inator" to sabotage the race and eliminate the competition, including international racing legend of Italian-Scottish-Swiss-Dutch descent Paolo Vanderbeek (Patrick Dempsey), Agent P must take the wheel and go head-to-head with Doof on the racetrack.
Lawrence and Linda are getting ready to watch the 48th Montevillebad Grand Prix race. The announcers, Adrian, Nigel and Ian, talk about Paolo Vanderbeek, the Scottish-Swiss-Dutch-Italian racer who is the favorite to win, and who is really passionate about racing. Candace is preparing her next busting strategy when she notices her parents watching the race. She decides to join them since Phineas and Ferb are only sitting under the tree. She is bored by it, but then she wonders where...well, you know.
Agent P wheels into his lair to see Major Monogram in Montevillebad in a pleather jumpsuit. Monogram informs Perry that the line is not secure, so he is sending Perry to Montevillebad in a swanky spy car, a 1963 Olson Martin, which Perry approves. After a wipe, Perry is suddenly in Montevillebad where Monogram tells hims that Doof plans to enter the Grand Prix. Perry pulls up his Olson Martin to a hotel casino, where Doofenshmirtz has won another game of Tic-Tac-Toe against Agent Double 0-0, who then leaves in shame. Eventually, Perry wins the next game.
Meanwhile, Candace is bewildered that her parents are excited even though the race has yet to begin. Unbeknownst to her, Phineas and Ferb have finally figured out what they are going to do today.
Back in Montevillebad, Perry sees Doofenshmirtz on a yacht and takes his Olson Martin into the ocean, where it converts into a scuba suit. He swims up to the yacht and converts the Olson Martin into a handkerchief. Doof recognizes Perry as the platypus from the casino, since he wasn't wearing his fedora. Agent P puts on his fedora, and Doof traps him in tires. Doofenshmirtz brings his yacht to his swanky new evil lair, which he got from an online exchange program. He explains to Perry that he was so impressed by the lair that he even commissioned to revamp his Evil Jingle.
After the musical number, Doof explains his evil scheme. He says that he plans to enter the Grand Prix to play for his favorite charity...himself, namely his company, Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated. He even rebuilt his Boomshlaka 320-I into a race car. To eliminate the competition, he invented the I-Don't-Care-inator to use on Paolo Vanderbeek, known as the "King of Care". Before he leaves, he activates the cliché shark tank in his lair. He then puts on his racing uniform and rides Norm to the racetrack. One of the sharks seems to swallow Perry.
At the race course, Doof zaps Vanderbeek with the inator, causing him to leave the race since he no longer cares about racing or his fans. Elsewhere, Perry escapes from the shark, who is revealed to be with OWCA. With Norm as his pit man, Doof gets into his car, while the announcers have difficulty in pronouncing Doof's name. And the race begins!
Major Monogram instructs Agent P to take Vanderbeek's place and race for him while Carl weakly attempts persuasion to get him racing again. Perry converts the Olson Martin handkerchief into a facsimile of Vanderbeek's mustache and he gets into his car, making the announcers believe Vanderbeek is back in.
Back in the living room, Candace is beginning to warm up to the race, oblivious to the fact that Phineas and Ferb, now joined by Isabella, Buford, and Baljeet, are doing something that involves making a DNA helix rise from a wading pool.
At the Grand Prix, Doof cheats his way to the lead by bumping cars off the tracks, making his car spew out such things as grease, smoke, and everything . . . and the kitchen sink. The fake Vanderbeek catches up to Doof. Ian is surprised to see such shenanigans on the racetrack. Both Adrian and Nigel note how cartoony the race has become. Doof decides to hit the fake Vanderbeek with his inator once more, but his car skids on some spare parts, making him let go of his inator, and having him land in the mud. Perry proceeds to catch the inator, and makes a pit stop to reverse the inator's effects on Vanderbeek. Now that he is passionate about racing and his fans again, Vanderbeek gets back into the race. Back at the mud pit, Norm pushes Doof's car out. Doof attempts to put some tacks on the road, but unfortunately, the tacks went out of the wrong end of the car and ended up piercing his own tires. Doof skids off the course and into a mansion's swimming pool. Vanderbeek wins the race.
By this point, Candace now has a bad case of racing fever. It is so bad, she fails to notice Phineas and the gang being swept out of the backyard by a giant foot. She decides to go to the mall and get a pleather jumpsuit.
Doofenshmirtz gets out of the pool and back onto the course just in time to see Vanderbeek in the winner's circle. He curses Vanderbeek, but notices it does not quite have the same ring as cursing Perry. With the race over, Adrian bids farewell to the viewers.
Read the transcript of Live and Let Drive.
Repeat of Doof's Evil Hideout Vacation Swap.
|View the image gallery for "Live and Let Drive".|
I know what we're gonna do today
The "Too Young" Line
Candace: You realize this is just a bunch of cars parked in a line.
Linda and Lawrence: Yes. Yes we do.
Hey, where's Perry?
Candace: (sarcastically) Oh, yeah. The excitement is killing me. Seems like a good time to wonder where Perry is.
Oh, there you are, Perry
Perry's entrance to his lair
His chair transforms into a one wheel chair to ride it to his lair.
Doofenshmirtz at a casino!
A platypus? PERRY THE PLATYPUS?!
Doofenshmirtz: (gasps right before he says it...) The mysterious platypus from the casino. (Perry puts on his fedora.) Perry the Mysterious Platypus from the Casino?!?
Adrian: Let's look at an incomprehensible map of the race course, shall we?
(Cut to the map.)
Bouncer: Monsieur, there are no pets allowed in the casino.
Doofenshmirtz: What? He's not my mysterious platypus. I didn't bring him in here! I just—Oh, oh, you mean the cat. (Doof takes a white cat from under the table and leaves.) Yeah, my bad.
Doofenshmirtz: Hasta la pasta, baby!
Nigel: I say, that is an unprecedented amount of contact shunts and shenanigans!
- Adrian mentions this is the 48th Montevillebad Grand Prix, but the Roman numeral says "XXVCXVIIV", which is impossible to translate into regular numbers for the sake of comedy. The actual Roman numeral for 48 would be XLVIII.
- Two of the ads on the track are for "Poven-Lube Motor Oil" and "Swamp Oil". ("The Fast and the Phineas")
- "Facetious" means to treat serious issues with unsuitable humor on purpose.
- This episode was confirmed during an interview with guest star Richard Hammond. It was also confirmed that he and fellow Top Gear co-hosts Jeremy Clarkson and James May will all be guest stars.
- On January 22, 2014, Jeff "Swampy" Marsh posted a tweet alluding to a March 1, 2014 premiere date for this episode.
- Patrick Dempsey has been racing professionally for almost 10 years, making him a very appropriate choice for Vanderbeek.
- First episode to premiere on Disney XD was "Primal Perry" and this is the second episode to premiere on Disney XD first for this season.
- All episodes after this will now air on Disney XD first, similar to the second season.
- In addition, episodes aired on Disney Channel will air as part of the new "Disney XD on Disney Channel" programming block,
- This episode and "The Return of the Rogue Rabbit" is the first episode that aired in 2015 in Indonesia.
- June 3, 2014 (PlusPlus Ukraine)
- July 8, 2014 (Disney XD Canada)
- July 12, 2014 (Disney XD Poland)
- July 24, 2014 (Disney XD Germany)
- August 12, 2014 (Disney Channel Brazil & Latin America)
- October 12, 2014 (Disney XD Spain)
- October 24, 2014 (Disney Channel Asia)
- November 15, 2014 (Disney Channel Portugal)
- November 22, 2014 (Disney Channel Spain)
- January 11, 2015 (RCTI Indonesia)
- July 22, 2015 (Disney XD Australia)
- April 27, 2016 (Disney Channel Poland)
- In the establishing shot of the casino, Doof's hands are on the table. However, when it cuts to Doof, his hands are holding up cards.
- When Doofenshmirtz lands in the pool, the man cleaning the pool says, "Gladys, j'ai une autre." The subtitles reveal that the man said, "Gladys, we have another one," but "j'ai une autre" actually translates to English as "I have another one."
- Doof mentions his Boomshlaka 320-I again. The first time he mentioned it was in My Sweet Ride.
- James Bond - There are plenty of James Bond references in this episode, including the scene at the casino and the Doof's Evil Hideout Vacation Swap song.
- Dr. No - Dr. Doofenshmirtz's disguise resembles Dr. No.
- You Only Live Twice - the guy who swaps lair with Heinz resembles Dr.Ernst Stavro Blofeld
- Live and Let Die - The episode title is an allusion to the 1954 James Bond novel and the 1973 film based upon it, the first to star Roger Moore in the title role, along with its Paul McCartney composed theme song.
- Jaws - Norm's new metal teeth are a reference to the steel teeth of the James Bond character, Jaws.
- Goldfinger - Perry's removing his wetsuit to reveal a tuxedo underneath and the scene where Perry is driving along the cliffs to Montevillebad are references to this Bond film. In addition, the "Doof's Evil Hideout Vacation Swap" similar to the Goldfinger theme and the character singing it resembles Shirley Bassey, who performed the song.
- Paul McCartney - There is a song called Live and Let Die by Paul McCartney
- Dario Franchitti - The character of Paolo Vanderbeek, who is Italian-Scottish-Swiss-Dutch, is a parody of this Indianapolis 500 winner who is Scottish and Italian.
- Martin Olson - Perry's spy car is a 1963 Olson Martin, a reference to this Phineas and Ferb writer.
- Aston Martin - Perry's spy car is also a reference to the Aston Martin which has appeared in 9 Bond films.
- Wacky Races - Doof seems to have stolen Dick Dastardly's cheating playbook.
- NFL on Fox - Some of the race's telecast's music is reminiscent of the theme music to this show.
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day - Doof mangles Arnold Schwarzenegger's quote as "Hasta la pasta, baby!"
- Circuit de Monaco - The track at Montevillebad references the famed Formula One venue, which also sits near a harbor and a casino district.
- Top Gear (U.K. Version) - Adrian ends the race telecast with the phrase "And on that bombshell ..." Jeremy Clarkson frequently uses that phrase to end episodes of Top Gear.
- The track of Montevillebad Grand Prix is similar to Monano Grand Prix's track on Formula 1.
- Dr. Doofenshmirtz's rebuilt Boomshlaka 320-I resembles the Tyrell P34, which was commonly known as the "six-wheeler".
- Second episode with a racing theme ("The Fast and the Phineas").
- This is the second episode to be named after a James Bond movie ("For Your Ice Only").
- The episode's title is the same format as Live and Let Pie. ("Backyard Hodge Podge")
- First and only episode where Phineas appears but has no dialogue.
- Second time a shark appears on the beach ("The Belly of the Beast")
- Second time a character, in this case, Major Monogram, breaks the fourth wall by saying something will occur "after the wipe". ("Bee Day")
- Third appearance of Agent Double 0-0. ("It's About Time!", "Elementary My Dear Stacy") It is also shown that he hates tic-tac-toe, since he's very bad at it and that Doofenshmirtz manages to beat him several times on the game.
- Fourth episode where the Doof and Perry plot is the only plot of the episode, while Phineas and the gang are relegated to the background. ("Road to Danville", "This Is Your Backstory", "Sidetracked")
- Third time Agent P wears a tuxedo. ("Undercover Carl", "Happy New Year!")
- The announcers, Nigel and Adrian, share names with the two lead singers of Tiny Cowboy ("Robot Rodeo", "Meatloaf Surprise", "Mommy Can You Hear Me?", "The Curse of Candace", "Knot My Problem"). Adrian also shares name with Lawrence's brother
- Tenth time Candace doesn't see the Big Idea ("Hail Doofania!", "Atlantis", "Brain Drain", "Bullseye!", "Escape from Phineas Tower", "Tri-State Treasure: Boot of Secrets", "Backyard Hodge Podge", "Where's Pinky?", "Thanks But No Thanks").
- Second time a character asks "Pretty please with a cherry on top?" ("Terrifying Tri-State Trilogy of Terror")
- Tenth episode that is from the point of view of someone other than Phineas and Ferb for the majority of the time. ("Isabella and the Temple of Sap", "Not Phineas and Ferb", "Delivery of Destiny", "Road to Danville", "This Is Your Backstory", "Sidetracked", "Primal Perry", "Bee Story", "Thanks But No Thanks")
- On July 19, 2014, this episode was paired with "The Belly of the Beast" for Disney XD's "Show Me the Shark" programming gimmick even though the shark only plays a minor role in this episode.
- Vincent Martella as Phineas ♣
- Ashley Tisdale as Candace
- Thomas Sangster as Ferb ♣
- Caroline Rhea as Mom
- Richard O'Brien as Dad
- Dan Povenmire as Dr. Doofenshmirtz
- Jeff "Swampy" Marsh as Major Monogram, Additional Voices
- Tyler Mann as Carl
- John Viener as Norm
- Dee Bradley Baker as Perry, Additional Voices
- Maulik Pancholy as Baljeet ♣
- Bobby Gaylor as Buford ♣
- Alyson Stoner as Isabella ♣
- Jeremy Clarkson as Adrian
- James May as Ian, Additional Voices
- Richard Hammond as Nigel, Additional Voices
- Patrick Dempsey as Paolo Vanderbeek
- Jill Whelan as Cheryl, Additional Voices
- Additional voices: Brian Phelps
- ♣ designates that a character appears but has no lines
"Phineas and Ferb Save Summer"