Isabella Garcia-Shapiro has a huge crush on her neighbor and best friend Phineas Flynn. She has romantic daydreams about him and hopes to marry him one day. She never tells him directly, though. Phineas's feelings for Isabella, on the other hand, are relatively unknown, varying from platonic to romantic.
Isabella's Opinion of Phineas
Isabella has a huge crush on Phineas. It is currently unknown how, why, or when she fell in love with Phineas. She uses her position as Fireside Girls troop leader to stay near him and assist with his Big Ideas, under the guise of earning the "Help Thy Neighbor" patch among other more specific patches. Although she usually just speaks to him as a friend, she occasionally attempts to flirt with him and cutely greets him with the phrase "Whatcha doin'?" almost every time they first see each other each day ("Isabella and the Temple of Sap", "The Fast and the Phineas", "The Beak", "Phineas and Ferb: Summer Belongs to You!", "Canderemy").
Sometimes, she gets carried away with her feelings and daydreams, resulting in not hearing a thing Phineas asked her to ("Isabella and the Temple of Sap", "Bee Day"), and accidental confessions of her affection, although Phineas does not seem to notice. She has even directly referred to Phineas as "The very thing I live for" and "My Little Crumb Cake". One of her fantasies involves Phineas becoming a flying centaur and them riding off together. She is a little annoyed that Phineas focuses so much on his projects instead of noticing how she feels about him. She is also known for fantasizing about their marriage ("Comet Kermillian", "Phineas and Ferb: Summer Belongs to You!", "Rollercoaster: The Musical!", "Candace's Big Day", "Phineas' Birthday Clip-O-Rama!", "Isabella and the Temple of Sap", "Operation Crumb Cake").
Isabella also jumps to Phineas's defense when he is in danger or insulted. She doesn't seem to care when Phineas uses her catch phrase, though she gets upset whenever someone else does. She is sometimes saddened because Phineas doesn't notice her and doubts his feelings for her ("The Beak, "Phineas and Ferb: Summer Belongs to You!", "Raging Bully", "One Good Scare Ought to Do It!", "Gaming the System", "Thaddeus and Thor", "At the Car Wash", "That Sinking Feeling", "Phineas and Ferb Christmas Vacation!", "Suddenly Suzy").
By the time they reached high school, Isabella had started giving up hope of ever being together with Phineas, despite how obvious her crush on him was to everyone, except Phineas himself. It wasn't until after high school, when Baljeet and Buford told him directly, that Phineas became aware of Isabella's crush on him, and by then Isabella had been trying to move on for a while, despite not quite being able to get over him. The two eventually sat down and talked through it together, where Isabella finally sheepishly admitted to Phineas himself that she did indeed have a crush on him in grade school. He in turn admitted that he had a crush on her too, ever since high school. After sadly contemplating the bad timing of their respective crushes on each other, the two finally came to a conclusion: Phineas decided that he would attend the same college as Isabella, Tri-State State, so they could begin a romantic relationship together. Isabella happily agreed to this, and the two became an official couple with the promise that they would be reunited at the start of the semester in two weeks. ("Act Your Age")
Phineas's Opinion of Isabella
Phineas' feelings for Isabella initially were somewhat unclear, but towards the end of the show's runtime, it is shown that Phineas actually harbored romantic feelings for her. At a young age, Phineas often seemed oblivious to Isabella's feelings. However, he often showed signs that he liked her as more than a friend, much like she does for him. He sees love from a formulaic point of view, trying to recreate it like one of his projects and not truly understanding what it means. Whenever she hints at her crush to him, he either misinterprets the comment as platonic or gets confused. Either way he never gives Isabella what she wants: to spend quality time alone with him. One example is when Isabella invites him to the "Night of the Falling Stars Girl's Choice Dance" as her date, Phineas brings Ferb to the event as well, possibly assuming she meant all three of them would go together as friends ("That Sinking Feeling", "Out to Launch", "The Fast and the Phineas", "Run Away Runway", "Comet Kermillian", "Candace's Big Day", "Canderemy"). It's possible the reason why Phineas doesn't pay attention to Isabella's interest in him is because he is too busy with his Big Ideas.
Phineas can be seen to believe that Isabella is very cute, to the point of having to recalibrate his "Cute Tracker" to keep it from confusing Isabella for Meap. Phineas has also shown concern for Isabella's safety and rescued her on occasion. He seems to have trouble lying to Isabella; when trying to lie, he rubs or scratches his ear and speaks nervously, yet he casually lies with ease to both Linda and Candace (Although he may not even know he is lying, since these lies are usually caused by the ambiguity of the question). He is shown to not be nervous whenever Isabella asks him to go anywhere with her, and does not seem to be surprised when she hugs or taps him, like when she hugs him from behind or when she momentarily tries to rest her hand on his shoulder. Phineas sometimes appears to be bored while going over the Big Ideas, but when he talks with Isabella, he seems happier ("One Good Scare Ought to Do It!", "Canderemy"). On his birthday Phineas states that he enjoys being around the people he loves while he says this a tear runs down Isabella's face. This may mean that Phineas may like her now as more than a friend ("Phineas' Birthday Clip-O-Rama!"). However considering the ambiguity of his usage of "love" it may only mean that he enjoys being with his closest friends ("The Chronicles of Meap", "Gaming the System", "Hide and Seek", "The Beak", "Oh, There You Are, Perry", "Phineas and Ferb: Summer Belongs to You!", "Last Train to Bustville", "Canderemy"). There are many small points where Phineas shows (or it seems so) affection towards Isabella. For example, while the gang is running through the grand entrance for their Aunt Tiana's wedding, Phineas exclaims, "Looking good Isabella!", however, this may have been just a coincidence as they were running through the grand entrance sequence and Phineas was double checking how things were going. Of course, Phineas had not said anything of the sort to anyone else who was running through the sequence. ("Candace's Big Day") Phineas also worries Isabella will get hurt when giant Buford comes up to her, also when she was stampeded by giant chinchillas and defended her from getting touched by a Mindless Repulsive Pharmacist. ("Gaming the System", "Der Kinderlumper", "Terrifying Tri-State Trilogy of Terror", "Night of the Living Pharmacists") Unlike his other friends, Phineas is willing to put the day's project on hold if Isabella can't take part in it. ("I Scream, You Scream", "Bee Day", "Just Desserts")
Phineas may have romantic feelings for Isabella because after Isabella kisses him, he seems surprised but delighted. He then tries to stop Carl from shooting the Amnesia-Inator, by yelling "Wait! Wait! Wait!", possibly because he doesn't want to forget the kiss, wanted to return the feelings, or wanted to tell Isabella something, but he is unsuccessful (Phineas and Ferb the Movie: Across the 2nd Dimension).
Phineas developed romantic feelings toward Isabella during their high school years; though he did not initially act upon his feelings because he was unaware that she had always had a crush on him, and he thought his love for her would be unrequited. After high school, Isabella became very busy, and stopped visiting Phineas and Ferb in their backyard. During this time, Phineas began to realize how lonely he felt without her around. Eventually Baljeet and Buford told Phineas directly about Isabella's crush on him, and he resolved to track her down to admit his feelings to her before she left for college. He eventually found her in front of his house, where she had been waiting to say goodbye to him before leaving. Phineas revealed to Isabella that Baljeet had told him about her crush, which she admitted to. Phineas then admits himself that he has had a crush on her ever since high school. After sadly contemplating the bad timing of their respective crushes on each other, the two finally came to a conclusion: Phineas decided that he would attend the same college as Isabella, Tri-State State, so they could begin a romantic relationship together. Isabella happily agreed to this, and the two became an official couple with the promise that they would be reunited at the start of the semester in two weeks. ("Act Your Age")
Phineas's Big Ideas for Isabella
Many of Phineas's Big Ideas are actually wild projects for Isabella, and sometimes to a greater extent the Fireside Girls, however this may not mean anything considering that he has also made projects for Baljeet, Buford, Candace, his Mom and to some extent Irving. For instance:
- Phineas made a giant ice cream sundae for her after she had her tonsils removed. ("I Scream, You Scream")
- When Isabella's dog Pinky swallowed her sash, he and Ferb built a shrinking submarine to retrieve it. ("Journey to the Center of Candace")
- Isabella was telling Buford how Table Soccer could be the biggest game in the world and girls could still beat boys when she realizes that was what to do for the day. Phineas almost immediately replied that he was on it. ("Got Game?")
- On the day Isabella got hiccups, Phineas convinced Ferb and his friends to build a haunted house to scare them out of her, and he dedicated the whole day to her. He also held her hand all the time going through the haunted house alone. ("One Good Scare Ought to Do It!")
- Phineas built a "Rainbow-inator" for Isabella when he thought she expressed a desire to see a rainbow, having never seen one before. When she clarified that she wanted to see a unicorn, Phineas decided that he and Ferb would find her one the next day. ("Hail Doofania!")
- Phineas held a game show so Isabella and the Fireside Girls could get their broadcasting patches ("Let's Take a Quiz").
- Phineas and Ferb assisted Isabella and the Fireside Girls in building the world's most elaborate automated car wash when they needed to save the Star-nose mole through means of fund-raising. ("At the Car Wash")
- Phineas made everyone stop when they were riding their bikes so they could pump up Isabella's flat tire on her bike. ("Just Passing Through")
- Phineas asked Isabella what patch she and the Fireside Girls haven't earned yet. She tells him it was a Rodeo Clown Patch. Therefore, he and Ferb held a robot rodeo for them to earn it. ("Robot Rodeo")
- Phineas saw Isabella was sad when she and the Fireside Girls weren't able to get their Desert Tracking Patch due to the rain, he and Ferb quickly made a bio-sphere to help them along with earning other patches. ("The Great Indoors")
- Phineas creates a super grow lamp for Isabella's Bamboo plant so it could get some more sunlight. ("The Curse of Candace")
- Phineas helps her by cloning some potatoes using Buford's last potato chip so that Isabella's Nana can make latkes for the Latke Festival at the Danville Senior Lodge. ("Lotsa Latkes").
- Phineas was originally going to help Isabella get her surfing patch, but they change their minds in order to help squirrels. ("What'd I Miss?")
- Phineas let Isabella borrow the sorbet maker that will turn her and the Fireside Girls into bees to earn their Bee Keeping Patch. ("Bee Day", "Bee Story")
- When Isabella tells Phineas that Pinky has gone missing, Phineas and Ferb build the dog systematic helmet to find him. ("Where's Pinky?")
- Phineas and his brother organize a birthday party for Isabella. ("Happy Birthday, Isabella")
- Phineas suggest building a giant marionette puppet for Isabella and the Fireside Girls. ("The Return of the Rogue Rabbit")
- Main article: List of Isabella and Phineas's romantic moments
When Phineas, Ferb, Isabella, and Candace time-traveled to the future, Candace's future daughter Amanda noted that Isabella looks like "Aunt Isabella". Thrilled, Isabella realized that she will marry into the Flynn-Fletcher family in 20 years and exclaimed to Candace that she must have married Phineas. However, Candace reminded her that she could have married Ferb instead, which sent Isabella into speechless shock ("Phineas and Ferb's Quantum Boogaloo"). It is also possible that she just remained good friends with the Flynn-Fletcher family, so that Candace's kids call her "Aunt Isabella" even though they are not actually related.
When Candace was planning her Aunt Tiana's wedding, Phineas said, "I got to have her plan my wedding. Ferb, make a note of it," to which Isabella interrupts with, "I got it," indicating that she intends to one day marry Phineas ("Candace's Big Day"). When Isabella helped create a digital video for Phineas's birthday, she created a digitally edited video for herself with Phineas saying, "We'll-be-together-forever-Isabella" and "Isabella-will-you-marry-me?" ("Phineas' Birthday Clip-O-Rama!"). Once when Phineas was talking about showing their faces on comet Kermillian to their grandchildren, Isabella was moved by his mention of "their grandchildren"("Comet Kermillian"). Many of her dreams always end with Phineas asking her to marry him ("Isabella the Hero").
It is presumed that the two stay together after officially becoming a couple as young adults during their college years ("Act Your Age").
|View the image gallery for Isabella and Phineas's relationship.|
- The episode "Act Your Age" and its song "What Might Have Been " reveal what happens with Phineas and Isabella's relationship 10 years after the current summer.
- Ferb is aware that Isabella wants to spend time with Phineas, as seen when Isabella spills her feelings to him on the island in "Phineas and Ferb: Summer Belongs to You!". In "Happy Birthday, Isabella", this is part of the reason Ferb lets Isabella and Phineas have time alone together.
- Isabella's mother is also aware of her daughter's crush on Phineas ("Act Your Age").
- WatchMojo.com named their relationship the #5 cutest cartoon couple on television.